I tried to like Wuthering Heights



  I really did.  Charlotte Bronte and Anne Bronte are two of my favorite authors.  And after reading Gaskell's biography of Charlotte, I was fascinated by the character of Emily Bronte.
  I read Wuthering Heights some time in college.  My initial response: "I have everyone in this book."  But I remember someone once told me that it was a greater work of literature than Jane Eyre.  I believed this person because I assumed she was smarter than me.
  But upon rereading it, and reading several reviews, I find that Bronte fans and scholarship are very split on this.  The frame story is of Heights is messy to say the least.  And even assuming that the servant narrator is a bit of a busybody and chooses to overhear much of the story, I could never understand why Heathcliff would confide in her.
  The parallel plot structure is interesting.  It is interesting to see the story of Heathcliff and Catherine redeemed in Harenton and Catherine (Jr).  But it's not exactly the story of Heathcliff because Harenton is the rightful heir.  Heathcliff remains the interloper.  And this fact alone, his wild, unknown parentage, seems to be the reason he is who he is.  True, he received little love.  But certainly he received some love.  He had Catherine and Nelly and Catherine's father.
  So, after rereading, trying to approach the novel more from a literary point of view, focusing more on things like plot structure and the development of theme, I am left again with this: I hate everyone in this book.  Catherine (Jr) has a few redeeming qualities, but not enough to save the novel for me.  And why I don't want characters to be perfectly angelic, I do want them to be a little likable.
  How is the love story of Catherine and Heathcliff listed as one of the great love stories?  Their love was closer to hatred than anything else.  They were self-obsessed from beginning to end. Compare that to Mr. Rochester.  Yes, he deceived Jane and manipulated her.  But, he really did want her best.  You believe he loves her throughout.  And when at the end, he sees himself as unable to make her happy, he tells to marry St. John.  It is only when she convinces him that St. John doesn't really love her that he proposes again.
  In reading several reviews of Wuthering Heights, I found many people offended by bookstores that advertised it as "Edward and Bella's favorite book."  And while I agree that using the Twilight series to sell a Bronte books is offensive, there is a reason Stephanie Meyer referenced it.  Wuthering Heights, like the Twilight series is about obsessive, unhealthy love.
  So, I gave it a second try.  And I think that was more than fair.  I will return to Jane and Shirley and Helen.*


* Helen is from The Tenet of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.  While Jane Eyre will probably always be my favorite Bronte book because the character of Jane is so alive to me that I miss her when I finish reading the book, Wildfell Hall is the most fascinating book by these sisters.  Saying it is "ahead of its time" almost misses the point.  it deals with issues like abusive relationships, addiction, and the Christian's response to custody battles.  You owe it to yourself to read this one.

Comments