Gaskell's Humor

            In 6th grade I tried to read Pride and Prejudice.   I’m ashamed I did not get very far.  I don’t’ believe it was because of the vocabulary or syntax.  It was one simple reason, at the age of 12 I thought classic literature was always serious.  The verbal irony of “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife, “ completely passed me by.  So I read the first chapter and didn’t get it.
            Happily I grew to learn as I became more widely read that humor, like everything else, is never new.  And so upon reading Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell, I quickly found that tone was quite different from the miniseries North and South that introduced me this author.  I hope to soon read the book North and South and find if the social commentary is as prevalent in the book as it is on the screen. 
            About two pages in the narrator discusses how Mrs. Forrester’s tea service is effected by her poverty.  She pretends  “not to know what cakes were sent up; though she knew, and we knew, and she knew that we knew, and we knew that she knew that we knew…”  Is it original?  Perhaps not.  Then again, perhaps it is.  I’m reminded of the article I read in college about the high school student who said they didn’t like Hamlet because it was “full of clichés.”
            About one more page in, I had the delight of discovering a cow in a flannel waistcoat.  It is unfortunate how many people avoid classic literature because they think it is so austere and its subject matter so weight.  Happily, the BBC has created a lot of wonderful miniseries to bring to life the humor of authors like Austen, Dickens, and Gaskell.  But of course, no matter how well done a film version, there is so much that you lose from the novel.  
             For those who struggle with some of the archaic forms of language in novels from the 18th and 19th century, another wonderful alternative is audiobooks.  I have read Austen’s novels more times than I should probably admit.  However, recently I have begun listening to her books on audiobook as I commute to and from work.  The humor has come to live in a way it never has before.  The language sparkles.  So, if you are intimated by these older works, please visit your local library and explore their audiobook collection.

            I am still only a few pages into Cranford, but I am looking forward to exploring Gaskell's wit and absurdities.  If you would like to read along with me, her works are easily found on the internet.  Project Gutenberg is always a great place to start.
            Next post I will give a little more background information on Gaskell herself and her relationship with Dickens.

Comments